The stories and audio on this page are an invitation to explore how CIFR provides training, tools, and ongoing support to states to improve the knowledge of SEA staff and to increase capacity. They share the perspectives of our SEA stakeholders across the country.
CIFR helped the New York State Education Department roll out the Local Educational Agency Maintenance of Effort (LEA MOE) Calculator and supporting materials to more than 700 LEAs to improve the state’s capacity to gather and report complete IDEA fiscal data.
Preparing for the retirement of a veteran staff member, the New Jersey Department of Education worked with CIFR to document its fiscal processes related to the allocation of IDEA Part B subgrants.
CIFR provided tools and trainings to help South Carolina’s Office of Special Education Services resolve longstanding issues with the high-stakes IDEA requirement called Maintenance of State Financial Support (MFS).
In this audio series, nearly a dozen state fiscal specialists who attended the IDEA Fiscal Forum 2018 reflect on how CIFR has helped SEAs overcome challenges and build IDEA fiscal data gathering and reporting capacity. Learn about the value of CIFR technical assistance, tools, and ongoing support.
A Relationship with CIFR Can Begin in Many Ways
State staff share some of the reasons why they have worked with CIFR.
Tools, Website Resources, and Virtual Communities
State staff talk about the range of resources that have helped them implement the fiscal requirements of IDEA.
Responsiveness and Ongoing Support
State staff reflect on CIFR technical assistance and TA providers.
CIFR thanks these individuals for making themselves available to be interviewed at the IDEA Fiscal Forum in April 2018:
- John Andrejack, Finance Manager, Office of Special Education, Michigan Department of Education
- Renee Charleswell, State Director of Special Education, U.S. Virgin Islands Department of Education
- Tracie Coleman, Special Education Budget and Finance Manager, Virginia Department of Education
- Allison Davey, Executive Director, Division of Special Populations and Student Support, Tennessee Department of Education
- Kathleen Ehling, Manager, Bureau of Governance and Fiscal Support, Office of Special Education Policies and Procedures, New Jersey Department of Education
- Barbara Haake, Office of Special Education Policies and Procedures, New Jersey Department of Education
- Anthony Mukuna, Funding and Accountability Coordinator, Idaho State Department of Education
- Angie Nickell, Director of Special Education Finance, Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
- Michelle Neubauer, Data Administration Manager, Ohio Department of Education
- Mary Ellen Parrish, Fiscal Management Coordinator, State of Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Gemma Stout, Program Manager, U.S. Virgin Islands State Office of Special Education